International Students


International students seeking admission to the University shall be required to meet all prescribed entrance requirements for the program; provided that their previous training was obtained in an institution of recognized standing; and provided further, that there is a place for them in the college or school. 

Applicants who graduated from high schools abroad and have not enrolled in college may be admitted as beginning freshmen into non-quota programs without taking the UPCAT; provided that they meet the following requirements: 

Completion of the high school program in the country where they had their secondary education; 
Qualify in an equivalent college-qualifying national or international foreignadministered examination such as the General Certificate of Education (GCE)Examination or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or equivalent examination:
GCE: ordinary level passes and 2 advanced level passes 
SAT: minimum total score of 1200 
IBE: International Baccalaureate Diploma;and 

In case of an applicant whose native language or whose medium of instruction in the school is not English, a minimum score of 500 in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a minimum score of 173 in the computerized TOEFL. 

A graduate from a high school abroad who fails to satisfy the requirements for automatic admission (i.e., item 2 above) may take the UPCAT. 

A Filipino who graduates from a secondary school abroad and applies for freshman admission to the University must satisfy the same requirements as those for foreign students. 



International transfer students may be admitted for as long as there are unfilled slots within the quota set by the University Registrar and the dean of the college concerned for the course to which they seek admission. These Students may be admitted provided that they have: 

- An average grade of “2” or “86” or “B” or better ; 
- Completed at least 33 units of academic courses in a non-UP college; 
- Satisfied other requirements prescribed for the degree programs for which they are seeking transfer. 

These transfer students shall complete no less than 50% of the units required for the program 

Applicants transferring from another Philippine school should secure from Commission on Higher Education (CHED) a permit to transfer. 




  1. Holder of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with a good academic record from a recognized institution; 
  2. A duly accomplished application form together with the following documents to be submitted to the National Graduate School for the Health Sciences (NGOHS ) at 3rd/Floor, Bulwagang Joaquin Gonzales: 
  • Original copy of the Official transcript of records duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate in the student’s country of origin or legal residence; 
  • Certified true copy of the English Translation of the diploma with the seal of the University and the signature of the registrar in ink, duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate in the student’s country of origin or legal residence; 
  • Two letters of reference from former professors, supervisors or employers; 
  • Official receipt of the application fee paid at the Cashier’s Office of UP Manila; 
  • Photocopy of birth certificate (original to be presented for verification; 
  • Four (4) passport-size photos. 



Foreign students who are planning to take a Medical Course (CEM) / Dental Course (CED), is required to get a Certificate of Eligibility for Admission from the CHED, Office of Student Services (OSS) at 3rd Floor, CHED HEDC Building, C.P. Garcia Avenue, UP Diliman, Q.C. 



  1. Scholastic records signed by the College/University Registrar and stamped with the school seal; (the diploma/certificate of graduation maybe required if the scholastic records do not indicate graduation from the course). 
  2. Birth Certificate/passport; 
  3. Notice of Acceptance from the admitting school (UP Manila) 
  4. (For Medicine only) Diploma or Certificate of Graduation from an allied collegiate course; and 
  5. NMAT (for Medicine only). 






1. Student Visa – 9 F 

  • Application While in Home Country – with DFA (6 months before) 
  • Conversion from Tourist to Student Visa – with BI (within the first month of the semester/term) 

2. Special Study Permit (short period) 

3. Diplomatic Visa (9e) 
4. Special Non-Immigrant 47 (a)2 
5. Refugee Visa 47(b) 
6. Special Retirees Residence Visa (SRRV) 
7. Pre-arranged employment or Missionary Visa (9G) 
8. LOI 105 – Balikbayan 



  • 13A - Wife/husband/unmarried child under 21 years of age 
  • 13B - A child of alien parents born in the Philippines 
  • 13C - A child born subsequent to the issuance of the immigrant visa of the accompanying parent, the visa not having expired 
  • 13E - A person previously lawfully admitted into the Philippines for permanent residence who is returning from a temporary visit abroad 
  • 13G - A natural-born citizen of the Philippines who has been naturalized in a foreign country, and is returning to the Philippines for permanent residence, including his spouse and minor unmarried children (Permanent Resident Visa) 
  • Native Born - A foreign national born in the Philippines 
  • *Dual Citizen - A Filipino citizen who holds another foreign Passport 


Dual Citizenship 

A student holding dual citizenship (e.g., Filipino-American, Filipino-Chinese) who wishes to be considered as Filipino for the purpose of studying in the University of the Philippines must submit prior to admission a copy of the order of the Identification Certificate issued by the Bureau of Immigration. Students who choose to be classified as Filipino during their initial enrolment will be considered Filipino until their graduation. Male students are required to enroll in military science courses. 


However, he/she can apply for conversion of his/her tourist visa to student visa at the Bureau of Immigration once admitted. 


All international students should secure a study permit from the Office of Student Affairs (OSA) before registering. Old students are required to submit a copy of grades for the previous semester and an updated authorization to stay. 




Requirements: (For Study Permit) 

  • Letter of acceptance from the college (for graduate students) 

  • UPCAT result/admission slip (for undergraduate students) 

  • 1x1 photograph (For Information Sheet – New Student) 

  • (1) photocopy of passport pages where name, photo, birthdate and birthplace appear and airport arrival stamp 


All international students shall be charged the Education Development Fee (EDF) according to the following schedule: 


  Semester Summer  Residency
Permanent Res. $250  $100 $50
Non-Resident  $500 $200 $100
 2nd Degree - Medicine, Law, Vet Med & Dentistry      
Permanent Res. $200 $80  $40 
Non-Resident $400  $160 $80
Permanent Res. $150  $60 $30 
Non-Resident  $300  $120  $60



For more information visit or contact:

Office of the University Registrar 
University of the Philippines Manila
Padre Faura 
Tel: (632) 88141244, 88141245 or 88141243

The OUR is open from Tuesdays to Fridays,
except holidays, 9:00am to 3:00 pm.